Title: Drug Intelligence Officer (DIO) Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Division/Unit: Overdose Response Strategy Area of Responsibility: Iowa
Organization: Midwest HIDTA (National HIDTA Program, funded by the Office of National Drug Control Policy & ORS-Iowa Interdiction Support
The High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) is a federally funded program under the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) which provides funding, training, intelligence sharing, and analytical support to law enforcement drug operations in designated areas of the state. Each HIDTA serves as a force-multiplier in their region, leveraging resources and partnering agencies toward a common goal. With the HIDTA program has partnered with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to develop the Overdose Response Strategy (ORS), an initiative designed to enhance public health-public safety collaborations and to strengthen efforts to reduce drug overdose deaths across HIDTA regions. The ORS places Drug Intelligence Officers (DIOs) and Public Health Analysts (PHAs) in states to work collaboratively with various local, state, and federal agencies. The DIO and PHA gather, analyze, and disseminate vital information about substance use with a focus on actionable intelligence, trend information, and best practices for developing evidence-based responses to the opioid epidemic in their area. The posted DIO position will be supervised by the Midwest HIDTA and based out of the Iowa Department of Public Safety Headquarters office in Des Moines, Iowa. The DIO will facilitate interagency, public health-public safety collaborations, and distribute drug-related intelligence throughout Iowa, in coordination with the other ORS DIOs.
· Work closely with the Public Health Analyst to facilitate collaboration between public health and public safety entities, such as data sharing, public safety-led linkage to care, naloxone distribution, and overdose spike responses.
· Establish points of contact with key federal, state, and local drug enforcement representatives to promote awareness and utilization of the DIO Network to:
o Promote awareness of priority intelligence through coordinated meetings, trainings, and outreach opportunities
o Coordinate the use of centralized databases for the timely exchange of information
o Identify drug trafficking operations across jurisdictions
· Implement the Felony Arrest Notification program to track all drug felony arrests in Iowa and notify the appropriate law enforcement agencies.
· Coordinate the collection and dissemination of relevant intelligence obtained from a variety of law enforcement and other sources to develop a timely and accurate picture of existing local drug markets.
· Provide analytical and case support for HIDTA, local law enforcement, and other authorized agencies, such as but not limited to, preparing briefs, written reports, charts, graphs, and link analysis.
· Serve as a conduit for interstate requests for information.
Qualifications & Skills:
· Prior law enforcement experience at the federal, state, county, or local level.
· Prior experience collaborating with public health agencies.
· Meet security clearance requirements.
· Possess exceptional writing and public speaking skills.
· Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Able to exercise sound judgment to work independently within guidelines.
· Have working knowledge of intelligence infrastructure systems at the federal, state, county and local level.
Contract Term & Rate: One-year contract (renewable) at $ 76,500.00 per annum.
Benefits: The selected candidate will be hired as contractor and will not receive benefits.
Background Check: Conducted by the Midwest HIDTA
Equal Employment Opportunity
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to : email@example.com
Application deadline November 24, 2020.